WEDDING DESIGN & PRINTING SERVICES
Designing and printing your wedding invitations with Kid Icarus is a unique experience. Devoted to do-it-yourself culture and all things handmade, we print every piece of your Wedding Stationery Suite by hand, resulting in truly one-of-a-kind designs that reflect the distinctive style and atmosphere of your special day. Whether you’ve designed the invitations yourself, or would like our design team to put something together for you, we encourage you to make an appointment to visit us at our Kensington Market storefront where we can discuss a range of options with you.
Below is a step-by-step guide to how it all works and what you can expect if you decide to let us be part of your big day.
Please call or email us to book your appointment. Typically we schedule wedding consultations on Sunday – Wednesday from 12:00pm-5:30pm. Due to high demand, we cannot accept walk-in consultations.
Please allow at least 30 days from the time of your initial consultation for design and production.
Step 1: Free Initial Consultation
- At the initial consultation you and your partner will have the opportunity to browse our portfolio and samples of work we’ve done in the past.
- At Kid Icarus, we can design and print Save the Dates to Thank You cards and everything in between, so at this stage we will go over what you would like to include in your Wedding Stationery Suite (scroll down for a complete list of all of the various pieces we can print).
- Based on the size of your guest list and which elements you choose to include in your package, we will provide you with various pricing options and a quote which includes the cost of printing, paper, and envelopes.
- Please note that the design fee is an additional cost. This fee is based on an hourly rate and will depend on the complexity of your design and the number of pieces being designed.
- The initial consultation meeting usually takes less than 30 minutes, and at this time we would take a 50% deposit based on the quote provided. The entire process – from the initial consultation to moment you come to pick up your beautiful package – generally takes about 4 weeks.
Step 2: Design Appointment
- Once we’ve gone over the basics, you can book an appointment with our designer who will work with you to design your invitations. Sometimes we are able to carry this out completely over email, but we prefer to meet with you in person.
- In order to prepare for the design appointment, you are encouraged to gather inspiration for your wedding invitations. These can be examples of other invitations you’ve seen and liked, examples of the style of illustration you like, colour schemes, or any other imagery that might help us design your invitations. You can bring these in on a usb key in digital format or in printed form.
- Bring us all your inspiration pieces and we can look them over together to get an idea of your style and which direction to go. After this appointment, our design process takes an average of three weeks and once all of your elements have been designed, you will be sent a digital proof via email. Once you approve the design, we’re all set to print!
- If you are designing your own invitations, we can skip the design appointment and you can send us your artwork via email. In order to prepare your artwork for us, please have a look at our Submission Guidelines: http://kidicarus.ca/home/?page_id=160
Step 3: Printing
- Once we’ve finalized the design and gotten your approval, and you’ve chosen your colours and paper, we begin the printing process.
- Because of lengthy setup times and costs associated with screen printing, we generally do not provide a printed proof before we begin to print your Stationery Suite. However you will receive a digital proof over email before we start printing so you have an idea of what the finished product will look like.
- If a printed proof is necessary, prepare to spend anywhere from $100-$300 for a proof (this cost ultimately depends on the number of colours in your design and the number of screens required to print your proof).
- The printing process takes an average of two weeks.
In order to ensure you’ve got plenty of time to make all the right design decisions and for us to print your Stationery Suite in time for you to mail them to your guests, here’s a handy mailing timeline to help you determine when to slip your beautiful invites into the mailbox. Don’t forget it takes extra time for our production – 2-4 weeks for designing and 2 weeks for printing!
- 6 months before the wedding: Save the Date cards
- 2 months before the wedding: Invitations and RSVP cards (if you’re having a destination wedding, these should go out at least 4 months prior to the wedding)
- One month before the wedding: Menus, Programs, Place Cards, basically anything you will require on the special day!
- Up to a year after the wedding: Thank You cards
Your Wedding Stationery Suite
There are several items you can include in your package. There is quite a bit of flexibility here, and we’re happy to design and print whichever elements are required to meet your budget and needs.
- Save the Date cards
- Invitations and RSVP cards
- Maps, Directions
- Place cards*
- Thank You cards
- Donation cards
- Return Address Custom Rubber Stamps**
*Please note that we cannot print individual names on the cards. We would print a template design which you could fill in.
**Since return addresses on envelopes must be printed one at a time, having us screen print them can get costly. We highly recommend getting a custom rubber stamp made, which is also a service we provide.
To help you get inspired, we have selected a few of our favourites to share with you!
Gate Fold Invitation & RSVP with corresponding envelopes $7.60/set when ordering 100+