PLACING AN ORDER
How long will my job take?
- We are normally on a 14 day (2 week including weekends) turnaround.
- When we are busy it may take us up to 3 weeks.
- Please call ahead to confirm scheduling if your project is time sensitive.
- Rush jobs are possible, please call us to discuss.
- In order to begin your job we need your final artwork, and a 50% deposit.
What is the best way for me to get my art files to Kid Icarus?
- For a general price, please consult our price list before emailing us.
- Before we start your job, please submit your artwork (email/ftp) for an accurate quote.
- Use a free ftp service, such as You Send it or Drop Send or you can e-mail files smaller than 5MB.
- We are often in production. Please make an appointment if you would like to consult with us on your work.
Do you work with international customers?
- Yes! We love working with international customers.
- We ship via Canada Post Expedited Parcel or XpressPost, which is the least expensive option.
- For payment, the easiest is to use PayPal for money transactions.
- We can also process credit card payments over the phone.
What forms of payment do you accept?
- Over the phone, we accept Visa or MasterCard.
- In person, we accept Debit, cash, cheques, Visa or MasterCard. We do not accept Amex.
OUR PRINTING PROCESS
What is the process for Screen printing?
- Screen printing at Kid Icarus is done entirely by hand. Each colour
is printed on your material one at a time, letting it dry and then doing
it again for the next colour.
- Keeping the design to one colour cuts down this time significantly,
but keep in mind we are not printing 10 pages per minute and we are also
not printing millions of one product.
- Screenprnting is a labour of love. We take our time, we do it right
and we believe we have costed our products accordingly and fairly
Can you send me a sample of the job when it’s on press so I can see what it looks like on the paper I chose?
- We are unable to set up your job just to run a couple sheets, then tear it down to print another job.
- We print one colour at a time, so once it’s on press, we will run the complete job.
- If you are local or able to make it to our shop, you can book an
appointment with us to see samples of what the process will be close to.
- In the event that a proof is required, please email/ftp us with your files for a quote. Keep in mind proofs start at $85
I don’t understand how the setup cost is calculated. Can you explain how this works?
- Each colour is printed on your material one at a time, letting it dry and then doing it again for the next colour.
- If you are printing red and black on one side of the paper and
then black on the other side, this is still considered three colours,
even though we are printing black twice. (See point above)
What type of half tones do you recommend using?
- Based on 12″x18″ poster/print area we recommend 55lpi MAX
- Based on 18″x24″ poster/print area we recommend 50lpi MAX
- NOTE: Average dot size for screen printing ranges between 40-50lpi
Can you print photos?
- Technically speaking, we can. But it’s a very different than a digital print. Please refer to Screenprinting Photos, to see if this is right for you
Do you print on T-shirts?
- In the past, we have printed t-shirts. As of Fall 2011 we have
discontinue this service. We are focusing on what we do best, which is
printing on paper.
- We do print on fabric for a selective number of local clothing
designers who are printing on flat pieces of material and sewing after
it’s printed. Generally, the artwork that we accept is one colour or has
loose registration. Contact us for more details and to make an
appointment to consult with us.
- If you are looking for a screen printing shop to print on t-shirts. We highly recommend Hardboiled, located right across the street from us.
Do you canvas tote bags? How about paper bags?
- No, we no longer print on canvas tote bags. However, we can print on paper bags. Keep in mind we print everything by hand, one colour layer at a time and do not use a carousel press.
- We have a limit to the amount of colours we can print. See next point.
- This depends on how tight your registration is in your artwork.
- Please send us your artwork and we can tell you if we can print your project.
- If your paper bags have handles, please keep a 1/2″ margin away from the handles
Can I bring in my own paper, paper bags, etc for you to screen print on?
- Yes you can. But there are a few things you need to remember.
- Please bring at a 10-20% overrun of product for misprints. The more
colours that we are printing, the more room for misprints. Remember we
print everything by hand.
- We do our best to control how many misprints we print, but sometimes
there are things we can not control. (Environment, material,
- If you are supplying paper, please contact us ahead so we can tell
you what size we need your paper cut to make this economical for you.
Do you keep the screens for placing future orders?
- Unfortunately we can not keep your screen around, we only have a
limited amount of space for screens in our tiny space. If you do a
reprint within 6 months with no changes to your artwork, we will deduct
$5.00 off per screen setup.
Can I take a Screen Printing Workshop with you?
Do you offer Letterpress?
- At this time, screen printing is the only printing method we offer.
- We do have a Chandler and Price table top press and a Vandercock.
- We will be offering letterpress as a service in the near future.
- If you would like to be notified when we do, please sign up for our newsletter.
How much do I save if I assemble the package myself?
- For those packages that include assembly in the price
- If you choose to fold and glue the packages yourself, you save anywhere from 25 to 75 cents a piece.